Saturday, February 9, 2008


St. John Cantius Church in Chicago, the church with multiple Masses in both the Ordinary and Extraordinary form, has revamped their website quite nicely.

The Masses are no longer referred to as Normativa and Tridentine, but Mass in the Ordinary Form and Mass in the Extraordinary Form (though Tridentine does get forced into parentheses). Ordinary Form and Extraordinary Form are the designations given by our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI in his motu proprio Summorum Pontificum.

The music section REALLY got revamped, now naming staff to go along with all them choirs they have, and the FOUR pipe organs in the church:

1. An Oberlinger continuo (or "positive") organ, a portable single-manual pipe organ. Pipes are self-contained in a small box. The console is also attached to this box.

2. A three-manual Kilgen in the upper gallery (yeah, this church has a double gallery).

3. A two-manual "unit" organ assembled by John Hoverland out of used odds and ends (similar to the chancel organ that William Laws built at Holy Name in the 1960's) in the lower gallery.

4. A single-manual tracker built in Holland in 1860 that is awaiting restoration.

Check it out. Just about every department got expanded upon. Really nice job.

No comments: